Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sleep


Have you ever experienced this?

When you are sleeping, your peripheral nervous system does not operating at all. I mean Hibernate. But in certain occasion, your mind is operating 100% but your body is still sleeping soundly.

You try to move so hard but your body just won't listen to your mind.
You're panic.
Suddenly, your mind leads to mystical stuff, specifically supernatural stuff.
You want to open your eyes but you're afraid if you open your eyes, you will see something.. Something that you don't want to see, ever.
You start to sleep again.. Hoping that when you open your eyes, everything would turn out normal again. And at that fine moment, you will never ever go back to sleep again.

One Second..
Two Second..
Three Second..
Zzzz.
'Whoah, alhamdulillah I can finally move my body back!'


Jadi, adakah anda pernah merasai ini? Apakah sebab berlakunya ini?

Okay, in our Malaysian society, our mind has fixed with all the folklore stories, mystical stories, spiritual and supernatural. When we explained this situation to old folks, most of the time, they will answer, "Ini kes kena himpit dengan syaitan ni." Honestly, I tak layak nak comment this. But, if we look from this aspect, maybe there is actually some rights in this statement. Maybe its because we didn't recite our doa before going to bed, or we didn't wash our feet or take the wudhu' before we go to bed. I also believe in this statement. Maybe in certain occasion, this could happened.

But despite all of that, there is also a scientific explanation. This is what we called the "Sleep Paralaysis" or sleep disorder. It is very common actually. Let me share this stuff with you :)

In a simpler words, sleep paralysis is defined as the inability to move your muscles during sleep, called hypnogogic or upon awakening called hypnopompic.

It is closely related to Rapid Eye Movement atonia. Let's skip that part shall we? I think you can google that for yourself :p 

Now lets jump to the causes. From what I read, 
During sleeping, our face is positioned upward
I'm not a medical student nor an ustazah to explain this. But hey, cube fikir balik, kenapa Nabi Muhammad nasihat kita supaya tidur arah kanan? See, everything has their own reason. Hehe.
Due to excessive stress
This is common cause, I've also heard of this before. Maybe our mind and body is too weak due to excessive stress. So, people, this can lead to sleep paralysis. That's why we have to control our stress. :)
Sudden environmental change
Mimpi yang berepisod dan sering dimimpikan lol :p
Hang banyak sangat minum alkohol -,-

Okay, those are the causes and a very..lol very brief explanation. I'm sorry I've just wrote what I know based on reading and listening to these Medical students I'm lepak-ing with now in Ireland. Lol, menarik kan activity new year I? Lepak and talk about medical stuff :P

Anyway this disorder can worsen and lead to Narcolepsy. Google them ;)
This is a piece of advice, it works for me. When thing like this happens, close your eyes, recites ayat Kursi dalam hati, have faith in Allah, and insyaAllah, with God's will you can wake 100% again. :)
xoxo


3 comments:

  1. awat? hang mesti slalu kena camni kan? I macam selalu gila n takut gila kot kalau kena! >.<

    ReplyDelete